Thursday, July 18, 2024
HomeCANADA14-Year-Old Charged with Two Counts of First-Degree Murder in Rexdale Shooting Investigation

14-Year-Old Charged with Two Counts of First-Degree Murder in Rexdale Shooting Investigation

June 24: A 14-year-old boy has been charged in connection with a mass shooting that occurred outside a school in Etobicoke earlier this month, resulting in the deaths of two men and injuries to three others.

The incident took place around 11 p.m. on June 2, as a group of men gathered after a soccer game at North Albion Collegiate Institute, located near Finch Avenue West and Kipling Avenue. According to police, at least two suspects exited a vehicle and began firing indiscriminately, hitting five men.

Among the victims, Delroy “George” Parkes, 61, from Maple, died shortly after the incident, while 46-year-old Seymour Gibbs from Toronto succumbed to his injuries on June 5. Detective Sergeant Philip Campbell noted that one of the other injured men is in very serious condition and is likely to face lifelong challenges due to his injuries. The emotional impact on the victims and their families is profound, with many experiencing deep devastation.

The teenage suspect, whose identity is protected under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was arrested a few hours after the shooting on June 3 during an investigation into a stolen vehicle. Police believe the boy was one of the shooters and charged him with two counts of first-degree murder and seven counts of attempted murder. The additional charges pertain to four other people present in the parking lot who were not struck by gunfire.

Detective Sergeant Campbell stated that the victims were simply enjoying a game and each other’s company, with no known connection to the suspects. He emphasized the senseless nature of the violence and the lasting impact on the victims’ families. The investigation is ongoing, and the motive for the shooting remains unclear.

Superintendent Ron Taverner from 23 Division expressed his disbelief at a 14-year-old being involved in such a violent act and called for the community’s continued support in solving the case. He highlighted the importance of community assistance in bringing the responsible individuals to justice.

Police reports indicate that the suspects arrived at the high school parking lot in a stolen vehicle, fired over 50 shots, and then fled the scene. Officers responding to the incident found five victims with gunshot wounds, all of whom were taken to the hospital. The four other men present were not injured.

The investigation into the stolen vehicle began in the early hours of June 3. Detective Sergeant Campbell urged anyone with information about the suspects to come forward, emphasizing the need to prevent further senseless violence in the city.

- Advertisment -
Google search engine

Most Popular

Recent Comments