Five recipients were recognized for their efforts to make Vaughan a great place to live, work and visit. Mayor Steven Del Duca presided over the City of Vaughan’s 2023 Order of Vaughan investiture ceremony at Vaughan City Hall this evening. The Order of Vaughan is the highest civic honour the City of Vaughan may bestow on individuals who exemplify extraordinary citizenship and better the community.
The 2023 Order of Vaughan was awarded to the following five remarkable individuals for their pivotal role in shaping the community:
- Gary Gladstone – Not-For-Profit category
- Gary Thompson – Public Service category
- Jumol Royes – Media and Communications category
- Sunder Singh – Equity and Diversity category
- Wali Mohamed – Not-For-Profit category
The inaugural Order of Vaughan ceremony took place in 2016 during the City’s 25th anniversary year. The award was created to pay tribute to individuals who have made a meaningful impact on Vaughan’s civic life and dedicate their time and talent to the city’s ongoing success. It recognizes leaders within the following categories: arts and entertainment, media and communications, athletics, health and wellness, business, philanthropy, public service, education, science and technology, not-for-profit, equity and diversity, accessibility, and environment and spirituality. To date, 63 people have been invested in the Order of Vaughan.
To learn more about the Order of Vaughan, visit vaughan.ca/OrderOfVaughan.
“Tonight, I was honoured to preside over my first Order of Vaughan investiture ceremony as Mayor. It was such a meaningful opportunity to recognize five remarkable individuals who are playing a pivotal role in shaping our community. Each has a unique background but shares a common desire to make our city a better place to live, work and visit. Gary Gladstone, Wali Mohamed, Jumol Royes, Sunder Singh and Gary Thompson each deserve this great honour and join a select group of honourees who have made their mark on Vaughan. I want to extend my deepest thanks to them for their many contributions and for helping us build a better city,” Mayor Steven Del Duca.
- The City of Vaughan’s 2023 Order of Vaughan ceremony took place at Vaughan City Hall on Nov. 8.
- Five recipients were recognized and presented with an Order of Vaughan pin and certificate.
- The Order of Vaughan recognizes leaders within the following categories: arts and entertainment, media and communications, athletics, health and wellness, business, philanthropy, public service, education, science and technology, not-for-profit, equity and diversity, accessibility, and environment and spirituality.
- The 2023 nomination period was open from April 12 until Sept. 1. Appointed recipients were then chosen by the Order of Vaughan Selection Committee.